If several rooms in your house are candidates for renovation but you can only afford to do one, how do you decide which to do? Maybe a better question would be: How do you NOT choose the kitchen above all other rooms? Quite often folks will elect to forge ahead with a bathroom remodel or even to renovate the basement or add a deck instead of remodeling their kitchen. But there are good reasons why putting off Toronto kitchen remodeling in favour of another renovation project is a mistake.
Kitchen Remodeling is Home Remodeling
Here are just a few reasons why you should always proceed with kitchen remodeling before undertaking any other renovation project around the house.
- Home is Where the Family is – If your family is like 99% of the families on planet earth, you spend most of your time in the kitchen. It’s the place where everyone can relax and be themselves, where meals are made, where you have your morning coffee and prepare to face the day. The natural gravity of the kitchen is deeply ingrained in our DNA and doesn’t dissipate regardless of the season, the weather, the time of day or the particulars of your home. The only other room that even comes close in terms of year round, day and night use is the bathroom; and for entirely different reasons.
- Sealing the Deal – If you have no plans on selling your home any time soon kitchen remodeling makes perfect sense. Since it’s the most popular room in the house it should get the remodeling love when the time comes. On the other hand, if you are looking to remodel a room in order to make your home more attractive to prospective buyers then a kitchen remodel, once again, is the perfect choice. Why? Because most buyers go straight for the kitchen when trying to determine if a house is worth their investment. If they’re turned off by the kitchen, no amount of fancy bathroom cabinetry will seal the deal for them.
- ROI – Though you may realize a slightly better ROI on a deck addition, chances are that in Toronto your deck is going to be out of commission, covered under half a meter of snow for about ⅓ of the year or more. So you’re better off putting your money where the use is. You’ll get to enjoy your kitchen renovation year round and realize nearly the same ROI you would have achieved by adding a deck.
So, before you decide to pass over the kitchen on the renovation tour, keep these things in mind:
- The kitchen is the heart and soul of the house
- It plays an important part in holiday celebrations
- The kitchen often determines buyer interest or disinterest
- It’s likely the only place the whole family comes together on a regular basis
In many respects your kitchen is your home. At the very least it’s the beating heart of the house. When it comes time to decide which room will receive the remodeling attention, remember which room is the one that truly sustains the home as a functioning, welcoming, social place. The kitchen.
We Set the Kitchen Renovation Standards in the GTA: Contact Us Today for More Info
Karen Homes specializes in home addition and remodeling projects of all sizes and all degrees of complexity. Over the course of our 15 year history we’ve built a reputation based on quality workmanship and dependable, comprehensive customer service. If you’re contemplating a kitchen remodel there is no team in Greater Toronto better qualified than the professionals at Karen Homes to handle your renovation for you. Give us a call on 416-661-6006 to find out more about kitchen remodeling or any other renovation or additional questions you may have.