Home remodeling projects will continue to be dominated by bathroom renovations in the coming year. There seems little doubt of that. Homeowners have locked into the value proposition that is bathroom remodeling and are keen to take advantage of the fact that they can achieve nearly the ROI of a kitchen remodel for what is typically a fraction of the cost.
Upcoming Trends in Bathroom Renovation
If a bathroom renovation is on your agenda for the coming year here are some design trends you’ll want to know about.
- Wood – Wood will make a triumphant comeback in the bath next year as designers seek ways to reintroduce natural elements. Expect to see wood used to create wall coverings or duckboard flooring and wooden bathtub skirts.
- Copper – Copper has been slowly making its way into the bath for years and in 2016 we may finally see it take up permanent residence in the form of copper sinks, fixtures and even copper bathtubs.
- Stones – Natural stone will migrate to the bath in the form of both decorative and functional items like sink tops. Don’t be surprised to see stone benches make an appearance in some larger baths, and is that marble I’m walking on?
- Plants – All the stone and woodwork will call for plants to provide the finishing touch and plants will play a major role in bathroom renovation projects next year. Whether big and leafy or delicate and wispy if it’s living and green it will find a home in the bath in 2016.
- Industrial – In certain circles expect to see industrial chic make itself known in the form of exposed concrete walls and floors. Exposed pipes and open ceilings will also be in the mix along with minimalist sinks and lots of glass.
- Twin shower heads – The days of the single shower head are going the way of network TV. In 2016 we’ll see double-headed showers with a hand held shower head mounted on the wall and the increasingly popular rain shower hanging directly above.
- Objects d’art – From soap dishes to mirror frames to entire bath tubs hewn from a single block of marble the art object will occupy a prominent place in the bathroom of 2016.
- Focal points – From an architectural standpoint expect to see designers cultivate focal points with the most popular tool for doing so being the freestanding tub.
- Music – Waterproof music systems began to really come into their own this year and are expected to have a breakout year in 2016. Today’s systems will use wireless technology to stream digital music from your smartphone or computer and will make music in the bathroom a common feature.
- In addition – Cool greens, blues and greys will dominate the color palette in the bath in 2016. While underfoot heated floors will become a must-have feature along with self-cleaning toilets.
The emerging bathroom renovation trends for 2016 have designers and homeowners chomping at the bit to get the new year under way. With the shift in emphasis toward natural materials, bold juxtapositions and striking focal points it’s clear that the key to a successful bathroom remodel in the coming year will be a willingness to think outside the box.
If you’re contemplating a bathroom renovation project in the coming year call Karen Homes on (416) 661-6006 and talk to one of our interior design experts. We’ve been helping homeowners in Toronto turn their average homes in dazzling showcases for more than 15 years by providing timely, accurate advice along with world-class design and construction services. If you want to get the most out of all aspects of your bathroom remodel, call Karen Homes today.