Kitchen remodeling projects are often among the most satisfying home renovation projects you can do. We spend so much time in the kitchen that having a space that inspires and rejuvenates is essential. While not everyone has $50,000 to invest in a kitchen remodeling project the fact is you don’t need to spend anywhere near that amount to achieve satisfying results in Toronto. All it takes to make the most of your budget is clear objectives and a little imagination.
Keep Your Eye on the Prize for Successful Kitchen Renovation
Before we get into a list of the things you’ll want to include in your Toronto kitchen renovation project it needs to be said that the most common way folks undermine their budget renovation efforts is by tossing the budget out the window once the process gets underway. No good can come of abandoning fiscal reality. Formulate a realistic budget and stick to it. No buts.
That said here are a few essentials you’ll want to include in your budget kitchen renovation.
- Cabinets – Cabinets typically make up a huge proportion of the kitchen remodeling budget but there are ways to keep these costs under control. Consider installing pre-made cabinets rather than custom cabinets, less elaborate cabinets with little or no trim or even simply refacing your existing cabinets. Refacing can save you a ton of money and result in an entirely new look for your kitchen.
- Appliances – Appliances are another area of kitchen remodeling where costs can quickly spiral out of control. You need to do some cost/benefit analysis of the existing appliances and determine which ones it makes sense to replace. $1,500 might seem a lot for a refrigerator but an energy efficient model may save you that much in electricity costs during its lifetime, making it a smart buy. With appliances it’s important to think both short and long term.
- Countertops – Everyone wants that beautiful island in the center of their kitchen with the granite or even marble countertop but it’s not always realistic. If your kitchen renovation is on a strict budget consider alternatives like butcher block or a tile countertop. If you have a little more to spend consider quartz. If your heart is set on granite you can save a lot by using a thinner slab than is typical.
- Floors – Do you really need to replace your current flooring? You might be able to save a bundle by restoring the floor you have. If your floors are simply too dull or damaged consider vinyl flooring. It’s inexpensive and comes in tiles, sheets or planks that mimic the look of common floor materials like wood, stone or slate. Vinyl is also durable and easy to maintain.
- The contractor – Kitchen remodeling exists at the far borders of the DIY universe. As such most folks will want to enlist a contractor to handle the project, even if it’s a limited remodel. If you hire well it will be worth the investment. You should look for a contractor with an established reputation for quality work at affordable prices. Shop around for as long as it takes to find this company or individual. You’ll be glad you did.
Karen Homes has helped homeowners all over the greater Toronto area execute beautiful yet cost-effective remodels of their kitchen and we can do the same for you. There’s no need to remortgage in order to remodel, nor do you need to be a billionaire. Let us show you how we can turn your limited budget into a Toronto kitchen renovation you’ll be proud of for years to come. Call us today on (416) 661-6006 to find out more.