The core of any kitchen remodeling project is the cabinets. It is the cabinetry that will make or break your new design so it is vital that you choose the right style, materials and colours for your new kitchen. In this short article, we are going to take a look at some of the most important factors to consider when making your selection. With a methodical approach, taking each factor into account before making a commitment to purchase any particular cabinets, you can ensure that your renovation project is a complete success.
Consider These Factors Before Starting Your Kitchen Remodeling Project
Before you approach a local Toronto contractor to discuss your new project and the possibility of having custom cabinets designed and built to meet all your requirements in full, you will of course need to be very clear in your own mind what these requirements actually are.
- Amount of Storage Space Required – The dimensions and quantity of the cabinets you need to order will depend to some extent on the amount of space that you require to store your tinned food, dried pasta, and other relatively non-perishable cooking ingredients, as well as the crockery, pots and pans that you have accumulated over the years.
- Dimensions and Proposed Layout of New Kitchen – The space in which your new kitchen must fit may impose certain limitations on the overall dimensions of the cabinets that you have built and installed, as will the layout that you decide to follow. For this reason, you need to consider the overall design of your kitchen remodeling project before you can settle on the final specifications for your custom cabinetry.
- Wear and Tear – If you are living in a luxury city centre property and have no children to worry about, you can afford to consider a variety of exotic woods and other materials for your cabinet doors, materials that would probably be unsuitable for a family home. The amount of wear and tear to which your cabinets are likely to be subjected over time is an important factor to consider when choosing materials.
- Maintainability – Staying with the subject of the abuse to which you can expect your cabinets to be subjected on a regular basis, you also need to consider how easy it will be to maintain the furnishings you choose in tip top condition. Highly polished surfaces, for example, are often a bad choice for households with very young children, owing to the fact that they smear very easily and can start to look really dirty within an amazingly short space of time.
- Overall Style – Popular kitchen remodeling designs in Canada can be divided into two, admittedly broad, categories: traditional and contemporary. The style which you opt for will influence your choice when it comes to cabinet doors and drawer fronts. Shaker-style cabinetry is still a very popular choice among the traditionalists, whereas fans of contemporary interior décor may lean towards cabinet doors with smooth, flat surfaces, painted with simple, bold colours such as black or white.
- The Environment – With the widespread availability of eco-friendly cabinetry materials in the 21st century, planet-friendly humans can opt to have their cabinets made from environmentally responsible timber or other materials that do not cause any damage to the natural world. If you would like to reduce your family’s carbon footprint at the same time as upgrading your kitchen, this is something to bear in mind when specifying the cabinetry.
For help and advice on forthcoming kitchen remodeling in Toronto, please feel free to call at any time.