Statistics released by various governmental agencies tell us that the population in Toronto and the rest of Canada is ageing, and it is expected that this will accelerate in the coming years. Consequently it is becoming more and more common for children to be looking after their parents when they reach a certain age. However, as you may be aware if you find yourself in this situation, rarely will it be possible for them to simply “move in” to your home in its existing condition. Often there is either not enough available space (usually the case if you have children) or the environment is simply not suited to their needs. Karen Homes offers you an alternative to the heartbreaking decision to send an elderly person that you love to a residential home; high quality in-law suites. The creation of In-law suites will involve the conversion of existing space, or the addition of new space, often providing a self-contained environment that is specifically constructed with the needs of the elderly in mind.
The Many Benefits that In-Law Suites Provide
If you’re still weighing up whether an in-law suite is the best option for your situation, we would recommend you consider the following benefits before making a decision.
- Independence is Preserved – While your parents may lose the spring in their step and some of their physical strength as they get older, this doesn’t mean that they need your assistance to carry out basic tasks. Maintaining their independence is something considered vital by many elderly people and in-law suites will allow your parents to do just that, but if they do require your help, you will only be a few metres away.
- Give You Peace of Mind – While care homes are typically run to an impeccable standard, the thought of someone you love being surrounded by people that they don’t know will often not allow you to rest easy. In-law suites allow you to provide them with support, rather than relying on others.
- Familiar Surroundings – The elderly often don’t respond well to change and can find adapting to a new environment to be a significant challenge. In-law suites allow your loved ones to remain in a place that they know well, surrounded by those that mean the most to them. Simply by furnishing their new living space with their own furnishings and possessions, you can reduce the stress they experience in their life, which is proven to have a significant number of health benefits.
- Cost Effective Solution – If an elderly member of your family requires long term care, in-law suites are often a cost effective solution given the rates that professional care homes charge. In fact, many times an in-law suite can be added to an existing property for less than the cost of one year in a residential home and has the added benefit of giving your property’s value a shove in the right direction.
For High Quality In-Law Suites in Toronto Choose Karen Homes
Just as important as the decision to have an in-law suite added to your home is the selection of a custom home building contractor. Even if all the necessary planning is done for in-law suites, if the contractor doesn’t possess the necessary skills or uses inferior materials, the end result might not match your initial expectations. Don’t take a chance on inexperienced contractors and opt for Karen Homes instead. Here’s why:
- Proven Track Record – Every member of our team has considerable experience of every stage of this process, from the initial consultation, to planning and design, right through to the construction of the in-law suite. We’ve done this dozens of times before and have the know-how to help ensure your project is a complete success.
- Professional Grade Equipment – Using the wrong equipment could compromise the quality of any construction work that is carried out at your property, which is why at Karen Homes we only use professional grade equipment and materials.
- Exceptional Client Care – At Karen Homes our clients are our number one priority. We will never walk away from a job unless you are 100 percent satisfied, we act quickly to any problems that arise and make ourselves readily available should you have any questions.
If in-law suites are of interest to you and you would like to work with one of Toronto’s most trusted building contractors, contact Karen Homes today on 416-661-6006 to arrange your free consultation.