Creating an addition to your home is a major project that will require plenty of careful consideration. Before you begin to formulate a plan for your new addition it helps to have some knowledge about what kind of additions are possible and what types are most common. In this post we’ll take a quick look at some of the most popular kinds of additions and what each one brings to the table.
The 6 Most Popular Forms of Home Additions
Home additions range from the practical to the extravagant and can cost anywhere from a few thousand dollars to tens of thousands and more. Here are the most common types of additions undertaken in the Toronto area.
- The bump – Say you like your secondary bathroom, you just wish it had a shower stall. No problem. Just “bump” the exterior wall out a few feet and put your shower stall in the new space. From the outside the change will be hard to detect, but from the inside you’ll achieve your goals without breaking the bank or disrupting the established flow of your home.
- Bathroom addition – A lot of older homes are bathroom deficient. That is to say builders of bygone days didn’t put much of a premium on the bathroom experience. If you have an older home and the 1 ½ baths that came with it just aren’t doing it for your family and a “bump out” won’t be enough, add a full bath onto the house and bring it into the 21st century.
- The single room addition – Single room home additions are just that; you add one standard room onto your home to fulfill a pressing need. If your business is expanding and running it out of the kitchen just isn’t working anymore or you need another bedroom to accommodate your growing family a single room addition can fulfill your spatial needs.
- Sunrooms – A sunroom is an old idea that has retained its appeal into the present day. Many homeowners are drawn to the idea of building out an addition to their living room or kitchen that includes lots of large windows and plant life. A sunroom can be particularly appealing during the dregs of winter when it provides a bright outdoor feel while keeping you warm.
- Second story additions – Sometimes there just isn’t room to expand your home outward. In those cases you’ll have to look upward instead. Adding a second story can effectively double the floor space of your house and open up the ground floor as well by allowing you to move bedrooms upstairs. A second story addition will essentially create a new house.
- The in-law suite – Creating a suite of rooms for an elderly relative is a good way to keep them close and safe and provide them with comfortable, familiar surroundings. The in-law suite typically consists of a living room, bedroom, bathroom and perhaps a kitchenette as well. Many will have their own entrance. It’s one of the largest types of home additions yet at the same time, one of the most popular.
Karen Homes specializes in the design and construction of home additions and is ready and able to handle whatever type of addition project you can conceive. Our world-class design team will work closely with you to make sure you get exactly the type and size of new space you need going forward. Give us a call on 416-661-6006 and talk to one of our home addition specialists or schedule an appointment to drop by our Toronto location and sit down for a talk. We’ll be happy to answer your questions and provide you with a no-obligation quote.