Basement remodeling is not always at the top of the list of priorities for homeowners. However, in many cases, it should be. Since basements are underground, they are exposed to a lot more things that could speed up the deterioration process of a home. If you don’t check the basement frequently, approximately every 6 months at least, you could find rot, mould and more spreading through your basement – lowering the value of your home, as well as being dangerous for anyone living in it.
These Problems Could Happen if You Don’t Invest in Basement Remodeling
- Spread of Mold – Mold is a fungus that grows from spores floating in the air. In order to grow, mold needs a dark, wet space and ‘food’ in the form of dust. Most unfinished basements are the perfect place for mold to grow. While some types of mold are fine, there is a strain of black mold that can cause serious health issues such as an invasive lung disease or chronic sinusitis. Finding mold is not always easy, but if you notice a musty smell in the basement, that’s a good sign that there is mold and you should further investigate. If the mold is on the walls, you may be able to clean it, but once it gets into any carpet or flooring, you’ll have to replace it. A basement remodeling may suddenly be in your near future.
- The Development of Foundation Cracks – A faulty foundation, or cracks in the foundation can lead to a flooded basement. A flooded basement will lead to water leakage and usually brings in different bacteria which can lead to various types of mold that can be harmful to your health. As well, if a foundation crack leads to flooding, flooding can lead to more foundation cracks which will lead to even more flooding in the future. Before starting any major basement renovation, be sure to treat your cement walls and floors with protectors and sealants to keep it from cracking in the future.
- Rotting and Unstable Walls – If you have an already finished basement, you must be wary of the walls rotting out. Because of the amount of moisture in the basement, it’s not uncommon to find rotting wood and plywood behind the walls. And leaving it like that can lead to structural problems for the home. Instead of plywood, use newer materials that are more durable and withstand more moisture and wear and tear for your basement walls. You can also keep a dehumidifier going at all times in the basement to help soak up some of the extra moisture in the air.
- Pest Infestation – Because of the dark, damp nature of basements, they can become a favourite spot to live for mice and rats. If you’ve let your basement get run down over the years, you may have more house guests than you thought. Once these rodents get into your basement, it won’t be long before they’ve spread themselves all around the house, leaving dirt and chewing things up all around the house.
- Reducing Your Home’s Market Value – If you plan on selling your home, basement remodeling can really increase its value. Neglecting the basement for many years can result in a dusty, damp place. If you spend a bit of money to make your basement into a useful space, the value of your home will go up immediately. Your house will likely also be sold faster. When a potential buyer sees a dusty dark space, they’re less likely to be interested than if they were to see a nicely finished space with lots of clean storage areas, and a comforting décor.
As you can see, there are many reasons that you should not neglect your basement. Basement remodeling doesn’t have to be done solely for personal use and enjoyment. There are many reasons that basements are better once they’re finished. Giving your basement attention means ensuring that the foundation is sound, there is no mold or harmful substances, and you keep your home as clean as possible. The extra space to hang out in, however, doesn’t hurt.
Here at Karen Homes we have been proudly serving clients in the Toronto area for over 15 years. Our skilled designers and contractors have ample experience in home renovations from home additions to kitchen renovation to bathroom remodeling. We will work with you from start to finish, keeping your design goals and budget in mind every step of the way. If you need to remodel your basement, and you’re not sure where to start, we’d be more than happy to answer your questions and provide you with a quote.
Renovations in the basement can be tricky if you don’t know what you’re doing, but hiring professionals who are committed to their work will ensure you get the basement you’ve always wanted.
Call Karen Homes for basement remodeling today