There are a couple of things most people check out immediately upon entering a home. One is the kitchen and the other is… the living area? No. The deluxe 2-car garage? Sorry. The upstairs bedrooms? Afraid not. The other thing most visitors and potential homebuyers are in a hurry to see is the bathroom. Market research indicates that if buyers don’t like what they see in the bathroom they’ll be less likely to make an offer on a house, regardless of how spectacular the living room is.
Anchor Your Bathroom Remodeling Project With the Right Floor
When it comes to bathroom remodeling the whole process begins and ends with the floor. It’s the floor that sets the style tone, the floor that must handle all the loose water effectively, the floor that must provide a safe platform for walking and the floor that must clean up easily and look great.
- Looks – If people don’t like what they see when they open the bathroom door it won’t matter if everything works like a charm. Today there are more flooring options available than ever before – including limestone, travertine, wood, bamboo, cork, vinyl and more – so you can be sure to find the one that’s perfect for your home, your style and your budget.
- Functionality – Whether square, round or linear today’s drains make it easy to quickly remove water. This prevents the growth of mold in areas of standing water and also minimizes the risk of slips and falls. Be sure before you make the final payment to the contractor that there are no drainage ‘dead spots’ in the remodeled floor.
- Safety – If there are older folks living in your Toronto house it’s important to choose a flooring material for your bathroom remodeling job that will reduce the risk of falls. You can choose polished marble, but you’ll be obliged to cover large areas with rubber mats. The alternative is to choose a material like non-slip vinyl, glazed ceramic with a non-slip finish or cork.
- Maintenance – Different flooring materials come with different maintenance requirements. Most people who undertake bathroom remodeling or are looking to purchase a house are looking for ways to minimize time and effort put into floor maintenance. Here’s a quick look at the different flooring materials and their maintenance requirements:
- Vinyl – When it comes to ease of maintenance vinyl is king. Durable, waterproof and stain resistant it’s a favorite with homeowners coast to coast. While it doesn’t carry the natural panache of stone or hardwood you won’t break your bank installing it and you won’t break your back maintaining it.
- Natural stone – Natural stone flooring needs to be set just right and a sealing agent applied to keep moisture from working its way through the stone’s natural pores. Maintenance, however, is a Simply mop regularly with warm water.
- Natural hardwood – Hardwood flooring is only as good as the people who installed it. But if done properly – with adequate drainage and plenty of sealer coats – hardwood floors will last for decades and require very little maintenance.
- Ceramic tiles – Maintaining the grout seal is the biggest consideration with ceramic tiles and can be a chore. Grout needs to be replaced from time to time. If it isn’t water can seep through cracks, undermine the floor and lead to the growth of mold.
Call the bathroom remodeling experts at Karen Homes, Toronto on 416-661-6006 for answers to all your bathroom flooring questions. We’ve handled hundreds of remodeling projects for homeowners right across the GTA and have a hard-earned reputation for quality work at affordable prices. Call today and talk to one of our renovation experts or to get a free estimate on your remodeling project.