Basement remodeling is one of the most cost-effective renovation projects you can undertake. It will return on average a larger portion of the investment than either a kitchen or bathroom remodeling job, both of which are considered among the smartest renovations you can do. Over at mitsubishicomfort.com they have a great article that takes a look at the issue of remodeling the basement starting with the rationale:
As families grow, homeowners are often faced with two choices: maximize the space they have, or buy a new home. For many families, moving is not an ideal option, which leaves them to focus on working within their current space. Rather than adding on, it can be much more cost efficient to convert existing space into something new. A finished basement is a great way to expand living space while simultaneously increasing energy efficiency and adding value to the home.
If we take a closer look at basement remodeling we begin to see why it’s such a smart idea and one that is always a big hit with prospective buyers.
- Addition Without Addition – With basement remodeling you add to the liveable square footage of your home by a third or more without having to make an addition. In cases where you are forbidden by local ordinances from creating an addition to your home, basement remodeling becomes the perfect solution.
- Greater Integration with the Yard – If your basement includes a section that is level with the yard you can put in sliding doors that open onto a new patio. You’ll not only increase the useable space of your home but extend that usability out into the yard as well.
- An Ideal Retreat – If all the noise and commotion upstairs makes it hard for you to find peace when you get home, turn your basement into a study where you can retreat and relax. A study also comes in handy when you have to bring work home and when the kids need to prepare for important tests at school.
- Increase Your Home’s Value – Let’s not forget one of the biggest reasons folks undertake basement remodeling. Not only will a finished basement add to the value of your home, it’s been proven that a finished basement will help your home sell faster and will also give you more leverage during any bargaining.
If you’re sold on the idea of basement remodeling but don’t know how to get started here’s a checklist of things to consider that may help you get things moving.
- Decide How You Want to Use the Space – An office, a family room, an entertainment centre and apartment will all require different planning and different expenditures.
- Keep an Open Mind – Consider turning your new space into an apartment or a shop of sorts where you can indulge the hobbyist in you.
- Keep it Tasteful – Remember, when it comes time to sell the house, buyers are not going to be impressed with orange shag carpet and lava lamps.
- Don’t Divide the Space Up Too Small – The only good reason to divide the basement into separate rooms is if you’ve decided to turn it into an apartment you’ll rent.
- Set a Realistic Budget – Make the most of the money you have and don’t plan on going deeply into debt. If you do it will colour your experience of the new space.
Remember to get quotations from more than one contractor, to check their references and get everything in writing before signing on the dotted line.
Need More Inspiration? Contact Our Basement Remodeling Pros Today
Over the past 15 years Karen Homes, has established itself as one of the GTA’s premier builders of custom kitchens, basements, bathrooms, home additions and more. We’ve helped hundreds of homeowners realize their dreams by offering first-class design and construction services at a price that doesn’t break the bank. There are cheaper companies out there and there are bigger ones, but there aren’t any better than Karen Homes. Call us today on 416-661-6006 to discuss your basement remodeling or other renovation needs.