The standard home has many different rooms and there are many, many “moving parts” that make up the designs of these rooms. All of these items either suffer under the strain of everyday use and eventually need to be replaced or become outdated at some point in time. If you’re looking around your home, thinking “what should I tackle next,” we’re going to strongly recommend that you think about having a bathroom renovation done in the coming months if your bathroom hasn’t received any TLC in a while.
Why? Keep reading, as we’re going to provide you with eight good reasons why it’s one of the best home related investments that you can make.
Why a Bathroom Renovation Should Be Near the Top of Your To-Do List
As homeowners, we’ve got so much going on every single week that it can be difficult to find the time to actually think about any changes or improvements that need to be made to our homes. There’s the kids to entertain, the yard to maintain and, of course, it’s imperative you find time to relax after work. However, that doesn’t mean looking after your home isn’t important; your home is likely the most valuable thing you’ll ever own and it’s therefore imperative that you look after it well. Here are a few reasons to seriously consider a bathroom renovation this year:
- You Couldn’t Live Without It – Some home improvement projects seem to get put off forever, such as that shelf you keep meaning to put up in the garage, but there’s no real harm done as these areas of your home are probably not used all that much anyway. The same can’t be said for your bathroom; apart from the kitchen it’s the most heavily used room in the average household. Owing to its importance and the frequency with which you use it, a bathroom renovation to improve the room’s comfort and function is a great investment.
- Great Cost to Value Ratio – As any general contractor will tell you, some home improvement projects offer you much better value for the money you have to part with. A bathroom renovation certainly offers you that, with Remodeling magazine’s annual Cost Vs. Value report finding that on average, a bathroom renovation retains 72.5 percent of its value once completed. When you compare this to other remodeling projects such as a home office remodel, which retains just 48.9 percent of its value, or a sunroom addition (51.7 percent), a bathroom renovation starts to look like a very attractive proposition.
- Clear Mold & Mildew Out for Good – Warmth and dampness are two things that mold and mildew absolutely love and two types of conditions that can often be found in the average bathroom. For this reason, many homeowners in Toronto often face an ongoing battle with two types of less-than-friendly fungi (they can cause respiratory problems and some varieties give off toxic fumes!), finding them very difficult to eradicate once they establish a foothold. A bathroom renovation offers you the chance to address this issue, replacing any elements of the bathroom’s design that are contributing to the problem and get rid of it for good!
- Upgrade an Inefficient Design – Many older bathrooms don’t make the most of the space that is available and as a result end up looking rather cluttered and don’t meet the homeowner’s requirements fully. A bathroom renovation offers the chance to start afresh, removing anything that is inefficient, impractical and outdated, before carefully planning the new design (the perspective of an experienced general contractor can really help with this!) and implementing modern solutions. The end result is a more cohesive design that offers better, more accessible storage, while retaining stunning aesthetics.
- Energy Savings to be Had – If the fixtures and fittings that your current bathroom features are relatively old, they most likely use lots more water than is really needed. And guess what, that water isn’t free! Replacing old toilets, showers and faucets with more modern versions that possess water saving technology forms part of many bathroom remodeling projects and provides you with ongoing savings afterwards.
- More Attractive to Homebuyers – If you’re planning to sell in the future, even if it’s not in the near future, you’ll be glad to know that a bathroom renovation will more often than not increase your chances of making the sale. One of the most carefully assessed rooms during home viewings is the bathroom, simply because of its importance in day to day life. And a property that has a modern bathroom design is certainly looked upon more favourably than one that has an old, beat-up bathroom that badly needs some money throwing at it.
- Make Sure It’s Safe – Bathroom’s can easily become an unsafe environment if not properly looked after. A cracked tile and damp floor can make for a nasty combination and it’s in your best interests to ensure that every single feature in your bathroom is “up to scratch.” During a renovation, a bathroom remodeling pro will carefully assess all aspects of the current design, taking note of anything that does not meet modern safety standards. These issues will then be rectified during the renovation, lessening the chances of either you or one of your family members injuring themselves whilst using the room.
- A Change of Direction – Having seen the interiors of many, many bathrooms in Toronto over the years, sometimes the best reason for having a bathroom renovation is simply because the space looks tired and detracts from your home’s overall aesthetic. A bathroom renovation is a little bit like having a blank canvas and allows you to take the appearance of the room in an entirely new direction if that’s what you want to do. Times change and so do your tastes and preferences!
Whether you need some help to address an obvious issue in your bathroom or you’re interested in a complete bathroom renovation, contact the team at Karen Homes today on 416-661-6006.